Seattle is a great place to begin your nursing career, and you can start your career quickly. To become a registered nurse, it will take a couple of years of schooling, and this is with a full-time schedule. Attending class part-time will take much longer. However, there is an entry level position for nursing that only takes a few weeks of training to qualify for. This job is that of a certified nursing assistant. Often abbreviated CNA, people who do this work are working to support the nursing staff in a hospital or other health care environment.
The work done by a nursing assistant is usually things that relate directly to helping a patient. This may include assistance with eating, taking medication and areas of hygiene such as bathing. There may be a variety of other work that is done by a CNA, but all of it will relate to the assistance of registered nurses.
There is a simple process for getting the training you need to start working as a CNA. You need to enroll in a training program and successfully complete the courses. After this, you will want to take the Washington state examination to receive your certification This test reflects federal standards and will be helpful in other states in the nation if you should move to another part of the country.
There are many programs in the Seattle area also in close by in Tacoma, but before you sign up for one, you will want to make sure that is is an accredited program. For a program to be recognized as sufficient for an individual to get their certification, it must be a minimum of 85 hours. The training can be taken part-time or full-time, so obviously the more time you have to attend classes the sooner you will be able to begin your career in nursing. A part-time program can last three months while those attempting to take the course full-time may only need two to three weeks.
This short time frame is one of the most exciting aspects of becoming a CNA. You may have a job right now that you do not like, but you can change the direction of your entire life with only a few weeks of schooling. Once you start working in the health care field, you may want take part-time classes and move up to become a registered nurse. You may also want to take specialized courses that augment your CNA status making you more valuable in the hospital or care-giving environment. There are many people who make a nice living as a certified nursing assistant.
You will need to have a high school diploma before you take a CNA program. If you have a GED, this will be sufficient. The price of CNA training is much lower than attending college; however, it is not necessarily cheap either. There are some programs that will qualify for student aid from the government. Once you have completed your program, you will have earned a certificate. This should not be confused with state certification. You will become certified only after you pass the state examination.
Check out Some Local Schools:
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Assisting
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Let Regent Lead The Way
- No matter your passion, you'll find your place at Regent! Choose from more than 95 areas of study in the subject areas employers demand.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (RN to MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Administrator (RN-MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (RN to MSN)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)