Phlebotomy (also called venipuncture) is a procedure that surgically punctures the vein to draw blood from the patient using medical needles, and if you would like to get phlebotomy certification in Houston TX, then you might want to consider some colleges. The drawing must be performed by the qualified and certified phlebotomist, and the extracted blood is then analyzed by the physician to determine the health condition of a patient. The blood may also be utilized by another patient who is in need of a blood transfusion.
The Need for Phlebotomists
There are high demands for phlebotomists and their work is considered vital in any medical procedure. If you want to be a phlebotomist in Houston TX, then you must have proper training in order to render the best service to your patients. The whole medical team needs to make sure that the blood drawn from the patients are safe and secure. A phlebotomist who handles the samples must make sure that no contamination will occur.
There are also people that need phlebotomy on a regular basis. People with a condition called hemachromatosis wherein an overabundance of iron is present in the blood. Patients with such condition must remove some blood regularly.
There are also those who have polycythemia wherein the patient’s body produces too many red blood cells, a case where regular phlebotomy must apply.
Getting Certified in Houston
In order to get phlebotomy certification in Houston TX, you need to gain or acquire proper training offered by some colleges or training programs, but in order to be eligible for the training you need to present your high school diploma or you can also present General Equivalency Diploma. Don’t waste your time if you don’t have either of the two mentioned diplomas because your application for the training will get rejected.
Some schools or training centers may also check if you have criminal record may require drug testing, and there are some that only accept non-smokers. Requirements may vary from one school to the other. There is a need for you to check diligently and choose the right one for you.
Before getting certified, you still need to pass the national exam. So make sure to choose the best training school for phlebotomy.
Interesting Facts About Phlebotomy and Phlebotomist
The starting salary of a phlebotomist is around $28,000, not including the bonuses which can go as high as $2,500 additional. The salary of the phlebotomists varies because they get paid in accordance with their skill. If you want to earn more (being a phlebotomist), then you need to better your skill to expect high pay.
There are patients who faint at a mere sight of blood or just by hearing anything about blood. A phlebotomist needs to have patience (long one) in order to perform the work without further delay and trouble. If you want to become a good phlebotomist, then you need to calm a hysterical patient with lots of patience to maintain your professionalism. You must be able to create a calm atmosphere especially when the drawing of blood is near.
Medical staff and nurses have phlebotomy training and many students who intend to pursue a medical career may start working as a phlebotomist.
Being a phlebotomist in Houston TX can bring you lots of opportunities, but remember that nothing in this world can be earned without patience, discipline, and diligence.
Here Are Some Schools Near You:
- Diploma: Phlebotomy/EKG Technician
- Phoenix Career Services™ help students find careers that match their interests & map out a personalized career plan.
- Mentorships & networking opportunities available through Alumni Association of 800,000+ graduates.
- Flexible start date and class schedules.
- 100+ locations and online options.
- Offers special military rates and special advisors who have a military background.
- Students can earn credits for applicable military training and education.
Your creativity is a big part of who you are and where you're going. To take it, and your future, as far as you want, you need an education that's focused on developing your talents and putting you on the path toward the creative career that stirs your imagination.
Please Call 855-816-4001 to speak to a customer representative.
- Lower Tuition Cost Than Many Other Universities. Classes Start Soon.
- Try our introductory course - with no money up front.
- Approved A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 1995.
- Features numerous online student resources at no extra charge, including an online library, course materials, and real-time tutoring.
- Courses last 8 weeks and begin monthly
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln College of Technology. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
Please call on 844-252-4552 to talk to a respresentative.