If you are tired of your current job and want to take another direction in your career, you need to consider phlebotomy. This is an area of health care the relates to puncturing the skin for the purpose of drawing blood. It also includes puncturing the skin for intravenous therapy. This is a specialty area in the medical field and is an entry level position in the health care industry. There is specialized training involved, but the training can be accomplished in only a few weeks.
Although it is common to find a phlebotomy course that lasts a couple of days, this type of education is for those who already have a medical background. Only the basics of puncturing the skin are taught as the various medical aspects of phlebotomy are already understood. A phlebotomy class for someone with no medical training will take at least a hundred hours of study and probably more. This type of course will cover all of the basics of anatomy and biology that directly relate to phlebotomy.
The responsibility of drawing blood is great. Patients can easily get an infection. It is up to a phlebotomy technician to understand the proper procedures for drawing blood and to maintain the highest levels of safety for both the patient and the phlebotomist. Protocols must also be followed when handling test samples to ensure accurate testing. When you take a course, you will be learning from books as well as performing lab work. The hands on work you do in the classroom environment will help you to rapidly transfer your class knowledge to the real world.
Once you complete your training in phlebotomy, you will want to become certified. This type of certification carries a lot of weight when you search for employment. Many hospitals and clinics will have several members of their staff take an abbreviated course to learn to draw blood. Some of these classes are held in hospitals and clinics for their employees. However, the health care industry continues to grow, and the work of a phlebotomy technician has become a full time job in most areas of the state of Tennessee as well as the rest of the country. A certified phlebotomist will have a better chance of being hired.
Here in Knoxville, there is a growing opportunity for phlebotomy technicians, and training that is dedicated to this specialty is starting to develop. Roane State is a good example of a school with a very good program. The Red Cross in Knoxville has added phlebotomy training to their educational programs. In fact, with the rapid changes in the field of phlebotomy taking place in Knoxville, the Red Cross is a good starting point in finding the latest training programs available.
After you complete your training and get your certification, you will be able to start looking for a job. Most people find that they can get hired in only a matter of weeks. There are many possibilities for a phlebotomy technicians. Naturally hospitals are at the top of the list, but there are also blood banks that use phlebotomists as well as drug rehabilitation facilities. In short, any place the needs to have blood drawn on a regular basis will have the need for a phlebotomy technician.
Here Are Some Schools Near You:
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
- And more...
- Medical Assistant
Virginia College continues the tradition ofgiving lives new direction, fulfilling our mission statement tostudents wherever they live and offering the chance to pursue adegree while maintaining commitments to work and family.
- AS - Medical Assistant
- DIP - Medical Assistant
- AS-Respiratory Care
- And more...
- CERT Medical Assisting
- AS Medical Assisting
- BS Health Science w/Con Nuclear Medicine
- And more...
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate of Applied Science