If you are tired of your current job and want to take another direction in your career, you need to consider phlebotomy. This is an area of health care the relates to puncturing the skin for the purpose of drawing blood. It also includes puncturing the skin for intravenous therapy. This is a specialty area in the medical field and is an entry level position in the health care industry. There is specialized training involved, but the training can be accomplished in only a few weeks.
Although it is common to find a phlebotomy course that lasts a couple of days, this type of education is for those who already have a medical background. Only the basics of puncturing the skin are taught as the various medical aspects of phlebotomy are already understood. A phlebotomy class for someone with no medical training will take at least a hundred hours of study and probably more. This type of course will cover all of the basics of anatomy and biology that directly relate to phlebotomy.
The responsibility of drawing blood is great. Patients can easily get an infection. It is up to a phlebotomy technician to understand the proper procedures for drawing blood and to maintain the highest levels of safety for both the patient and the phlebotomist. Protocols must also be followed when handling test samples to ensure accurate testing. When you take a course, you will be learning from books as well as performing lab work. The hands on work you do in the classroom environment will help you to rapidly transfer your class knowledge to the real world.
Once you complete your training in phlebotomy, you will want to become certified. This type of certification carries a lot of weight when you search for employment. Many hospitals and clinics will have several members of their staff take an abbreviated course to learn to draw blood. Some of these classes are held in hospitals and clinics for their employees. However, the health care industry continues to grow, and the work of a phlebotomy technician has become a full time job in most areas of the state of Tennessee as well as the rest of the country. A certified phlebotomist will have a better chance of being hired.
Here in Knoxville, there is a growing opportunity for phlebotomy technicians, and training that is dedicated to this specialty is starting to develop. Roane State is a good example of a school with a very good program. The Red Cross in Knoxville has added phlebotomy training to their educational programs. In fact, with the rapid changes in the field of phlebotomy taking place in Knoxville, the Red Cross is a good starting point in finding the latest training programs available.
After you complete your training and get your certification, you will be able to start looking for a job. Most people find that they can get hired in only a matter of weeks. There are many possibilities for a phlebotomy technicians. Naturally hospitals are at the top of the list, but there are also blood banks that use phlebotomists as well as drug rehabilitation facilities. In short, any place the needs to have blood drawn on a regular basis will have the need for a phlebotomy technician.
Here Are Some Schools Near You:
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Nursing—RN-to-BSN, Master of Science in Nursing, and more.
- Experienced faculty members provide a practical knowledge of patient care, treatments, and research in the field of nursing.
- Courses designed to keep students up to date with the latest advances in medical technology.
- Online and on-campus programs have flexible schedules, designed for working professionals.
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Medical Assisting
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Available programs include Health Administrative Services, Human, Social, and Health Services, Medical Billing Administration, and Medical Office Management.
- Professional financial aid advisors work with students individually to find the best financial aid solution.
- All programs are 100% online.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
- Health Administrative Services - Associate of Applied Science
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
- And more...
Start your future now!
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) will help you choose your ideal career before you get started and assist with real-world employment after you’re done with school. We have a wide range of resources to help you every step of the way.
- Nursing Assistant - Certificate of Completion
- Medical Assistant
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor degree programs for careers in the business, health care, criminal justice, paralegal studies and computer technology fields.
- Medical Assisting, Associate of Science
- Medical Assisting, Diploma
- Dental Assisting, Associates Degree
- And more...
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant