If you are interested in pursuing a career in the health industry, becoming a phlebotomist is one of the career options you can choose. If you are a high school student in Florida, this article outlines what this job entails, and provides all the important information you need to know if you are interested in it.
Phlebotomists work under the supervision of a physician, medical technologist or clinical pathologist. Their main responsibility is to collect samples and transporting the same to a laboratory for analysis.
Some of the tasks that are performed by phlebotomists include:
– drawing blood from donors or patients in a blood bank, hospital, healthcare clinic, or similar healthcare facility for medical or research purposes.
– assembling laboratory equipment, such as needles, tourniquets, gauze, cotton, disposable or re-usable containers for keeping needles, alcohol, and blood collection devices on the work trays, according to the specific requirements different tests or procedures.
– verifying or recording the identity of donors or patients
– conversing with, and reassuring donors or patients to allay their fears of procedures
– applying tourniquets to arms, locating accessible veins, swabbing puncture areas with antiseptic, inserting needles into veins to draw blood into collection bags or tubes.
– withdrawing needles, applying the necessary treatments to puncture sites, and labeling blood containers.
– transporting and storing blood collecting containers in the laboratory for subsequent processing or analysis.
– pricking fingers to draw blood
– conducting interviews, taking vital signs, and drawing and testing blood samples to screen donors at blood banks.
Phlebotomists in supervisory and managerial positions may be required to supervise junior laboratory staff members, and teach aspiring phlebotomists.
Phlebotomist Training and Educational Requirements in Florida
The state of Florida does not have specific requirements for licensing of phlebotomists. However, most employers demand proof of phlebotomy training from job seekers, especially if you plan to work out of state say in Orange County or Houston. It is almost impossible to get a lucrative phlebotomy job in a hospital or blood bank without proper training.
If you have a high school diploma and you are willing to learn on the job, you can easily get your first job as a phlebotomist. But if you want to pursue a well-paying career as a phlebotomist, you must satisfactorily complete training in a community college, vocational school or health facility. If you have worked as a part-time phlebotomist for one year or as a full-time phlebotomist for six months, phlebotomy training may be waived.
Some of the schools that offer accredited phlebotomy programs in Florida include Miami-Dade College, Brevard Community College, Florida Medical Training Institute and Sarasota County Technical Institute. Once you have completed your training, you can seek certification from any of the national credentialing agencies, including American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians, American Society of Clinical Pathologists or the National Credentialing Agency for Laboratory Personnel.
Florida Phlebotomist Salary Information
Phlebotomists’ salaries vary from one medical institution to another, and your level of experience. Phlebotomists working in physicians’ offices, private clinics and laboratories earn between $10 and $14 per hour. Large hospitals and blood banks pay the best, and you could earn as high as $18 working in these institutions. Phlebotomy managers and supervisors earn between $35 000 and $45 000. Overtime is paid premium rates, and there are plenty of opportunities to do so in phlebotomy all around the country especially in Charlotte NC.
Phlebotomy Jobs Outlook in Florida
The demand for phlebotomists is expected to increase in Florida as is the case in other parts of the country. Many private clinics and physician offices that are coming up will require both full-time and part-time phlebotomists. There will also be a need to replace the large number of people who leaving this job for higher paying positions in the health sector, or other fields.
Here Are Some Schools Near You:
Get personalized attention at UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services—they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at ultimatemedical.edu/gainful-employment.pdf and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement and occupations.
- Phlebotomy Technician
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Southern Technical College provides education and training in a variety of medical and technical areas that enable graduates to obtain entry-level employment. As a student at Southern Technical College, you will have the opportunity learn in several different ways.
At American Institute, we believe you can become whatever you want to be, and we’re ready to help you get there. We pride ourselves on working hard to deliver quality, innovative education to our students that gives them the skills to begin or enhance their careers. We try to help our students meet their goals of changing or enhancing their careers, and also help prospective employers of our graduates in meeting the workforce needs of the 21st century while actively participating in the communities we operate within.
- Works closely with an advisory board from the medical community to ensure that their curriculum, equipment and instruction are current and relevant.
- Offers special tuition pricing for Veterans, Active Duty Military and spouses/qualifying dependents of all Active Duty, National Guard and Reserves.
- ABHES-accredited: An advantage upon graduation
- Short-term education: Programs range from 10 months to 2 years
- Blackboard Learn mobile allows students to complete assignments on the go.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.