The health care field is growing and providing many employment opportunities today for people in Roanoke as well as the rest of the state of Virginia and other places like Albany NY or Charlotte NC. If you are looking for a career change, then the health care industry is the first place to look. Many people looking to change careers are starting over and must begin a new job at the bottom.
The great news about health care is that the entry level positions are quite good. Although these entry level jobs form the bottom of the health care industry, they require technical training. Much of this training can be accomplished in a short period of time. This time frame can be as little as two weeks to three of four months.
A great example of this type of work is in the area of phlebotomy. This area of health care is concerned with the procedures and methods of puncturing the skin. Most commonly, a phlebotomist is the one that draws blood for testing. This type of job is perfect as an entry level position for those who are technically minded.
Although this type of work would seem simple, there is much to learn before you attempt to stick someone with a needle. If the proper procedures are not followed with regards to hygiene and safety, a person can become seriously ill. There are procedures that pertain to needle disposal, proper preparation of the skin, and the procedure related to the blood samples themselves. There is much to learn before you get to the point where you are ready to begin learning the skill of sticking a patient with needles.
Phlebotomy courses are taught by a variety of institutions. Community colleges are a common place to find these courses as well as vocational schools and even hospitals. The better schools will spend more time and give the student a strong foundation in the field of phlebotomy. A school such as this will give a minimum of 100 hours of instruction. This translates into about a three week program. Some training programs may last longer than this.
Virginia does not have requirements for certification of a phlebotomist, but hospitals and other health care institutions are beginning to require it. At the very least, you will want to have this on your resume, especially if you want to go and work in other places like Milwaukee or Seattle. You will have a better chance to be hired by the better hospitals and clinics.
If you are currently working a job and do not have the time to take a full-time phlebotomy training program, there are part-time programs available. There are also online programs that can be taken that will fit your schedule. Only a portion of the phlebotomy program can be taught online, but it can be helpful to learn the book and lecture portion on you own schedule.
It is important that when you shop for the right program for phlebotomy training that it is a program that will prepare you to pass the phlebotomy examinations for certification. Any good course will teach you enough that these exams will not be difficult. Your vocational school or college will be able to direct you to the proper place to get your certification.
Here Are Some Schools Near You:
- Ranked one of the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs in 2014 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Offers a no-obligation, 3-week trial period where students may determine if the university is right for them before they commit to it.
- Strives to be a student’s partner in lifelong learning; committed to helping them achieve their goals.
- Serves students of all ages, from first-graders learning to read to professionals seeking postgraduate training.
- Provides career-oriented diploma through master’s programs in fields such as healthcare, business, legal and paralegal services, information technology, criminal justice and design.
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Several nursing programs are available at the bachelor's, post-graduate, master's, and doctoral levels.
- Graduate-level specialization options include Nurse Educator, Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Administrator, and more.
- Nursing programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (MSN)
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
Orion College is a post-secondary vocational school offering Associate Degree programs in Business Administration, Medical Assisting and Healthcare Management.. By utilizing online learning, students have the flexibility to continue their education from the convenience of their own home. Our virtual classrooms will enable students to attend classes and communicate with instructors and classmates. Students can complete some programs without leaving their current employment or sacrificing family time.
- Medical Assisting
Virginia College continues the tradition ofgiving lives new direction, fulfilling our mission statement tostudents wherever they live and offering the chance to pursue adegree while maintaining commitments to work and family.
- AAS - Medical Assistant
- DIP - Medical Assistant
- AAS - Medical Office Administration