The health care field is growing and providing many employment opportunities today for people in Roanoke as well as the rest of the state of Virginia and other places like Albany NY or Charlotte NC. If you are looking for a career change, then the health care industry is the first place to look. Many people looking to change careers are starting over and must begin a new job at the bottom.
The great news about health care is that the entry level positions are quite good. Although these entry level jobs form the bottom of the health care industry, they require technical training. Much of this training can be accomplished in a short period of time. This time frame can be as little as two weeks to three of four months.
A great example of this type of work is in the area of phlebotomy. This area of health care is concerned with the procedures and methods of puncturing the skin. Most commonly, a phlebotomist is the one that draws blood for testing. This type of job is perfect as an entry level position for those who are technically minded.
Although this type of work would seem simple, there is much to learn before you attempt to stick someone with a needle. If the proper procedures are not followed with regards to hygiene and safety, a person can become seriously ill. There are procedures that pertain to needle disposal, proper preparation of the skin, and the procedure related to the blood samples themselves. There is much to learn before you get to the point where you are ready to begin learning the skill of sticking a patient with needles.
Phlebotomy courses are taught by a variety of institutions. Community colleges are a common place to find these courses as well as vocational schools and even hospitals. The better schools will spend more time and give the student a strong foundation in the field of phlebotomy. A school such as this will give a minimum of 100 hours of instruction. This translates into about a three week program. Some training programs may last longer than this.
Virginia does not have requirements for certification of a phlebotomist, but hospitals and other health care institutions are beginning to require it. At the very least, you will want to have this on your resume, especially if you want to go and work in other places like Milwaukee or Seattle. You will have a better chance to be hired by the better hospitals and clinics.
If you are currently working a job and do not have the time to take a full-time phlebotomy training program, there are part-time programs available. There are also online programs that can be taken that will fit your schedule. Only a portion of the phlebotomy program can be taught online, but it can be helpful to learn the book and lecture portion on you own schedule.
It is important that when you shop for the right program for phlebotomy training that it is a program that will prepare you to pass the phlebotomy examinations for certification. Any good course will teach you enough that these exams will not be difficult. Your vocational school or college will be able to direct you to the proper place to get your certification.
Here Are Some Schools Near You:
- Several nursing programs are available at the bachelor's, post-graduate, master's, and doctoral levels.
- Graduate-level specialization options include Nurse Educator, Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Administrator, and more.
- Nursing programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Nursing—RN-to-BSN, Master of Science in Nursing, and more.
- Experienced faculty members provide a practical knowledge of patient care, treatments, and research in the field of nursing.
- Courses designed to keep students up to date with the latest advances in medical technology.
- Online and on-campus programs have flexible schedules, designed for working professionals.
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Medical Assisting
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant