The health care field is growing and providing many employment opportunities today for people in Roanoke as well as the rest of the state of Virginia and other places like Albany NY or Charlotte NC. If you are looking for a career change, then the health care industry is the first place to look. Many people looking to change careers are starting over and must begin a new job at the bottom.
The great news about health care is that the entry level positions are quite good. Although these entry level jobs form the bottom of the health care industry, they require technical training. Much of this training can be accomplished in a short period of time. This time frame can be as little as two weeks to three of four months.
A great example of this type of work is in the area of phlebotomy. This area of health care is concerned with the procedures and methods of puncturing the skin. Most commonly, a phlebotomist is the one that draws blood for testing. This type of job is perfect as an entry level position for those who are technically minded.
Although this type of work would seem simple, there is much to learn before you attempt to stick someone with a needle. If the proper procedures are not followed with regards to hygiene and safety, a person can become seriously ill. There are procedures that pertain to needle disposal, proper preparation of the skin, and the procedure related to the blood samples themselves. There is much to learn before you get to the point where you are ready to begin learning the skill of sticking a patient with needles.
Phlebotomy courses are taught by a variety of institutions. Community colleges are a common place to find these courses as well as vocational schools and even hospitals. The better schools will spend more time and give the student a strong foundation in the field of phlebotomy. A school such as this will give a minimum of 100 hours of instruction. This translates into about a three week program. Some training programs may last longer than this.
Virginia does not have requirements for certification of a phlebotomist, but hospitals and other health care institutions are beginning to require it. At the very least, you will want to have this on your resume, especially if you want to go and work in other places like Milwaukee or Seattle. You will have a better chance to be hired by the better hospitals and clinics.
If you are currently working a job and do not have the time to take a full-time phlebotomy training program, there are part-time programs available. There are also online programs that can be taken that will fit your schedule. Only a portion of the phlebotomy program can be taught online, but it can be helpful to learn the book and lecture portion on you own schedule.
It is important that when you shop for the right program for phlebotomy training that it is a program that will prepare you to pass the phlebotomy examinations for certification. Any good course will teach you enough that these exams will not be difficult. Your vocational school or college will be able to direct you to the proper place to get your certification.
Here Are Some Schools Near You:
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Assisting
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate of Occupational Science
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Respiratory Therapy
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (RN to MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Administrator (RN-MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (RN to MSN)
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- Students already licensed as registered nurses can complete RN-BSN program in as few as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)