If you are like many people, you have noticed that the health care industry is growing. Even in this economy, there continues to be new career opportunities in a wide range of health care jobs. Like other people, you have thought about beginning a career in health care but have also thought that it takes too much education to get started. Many of the jobs in health care take a four year degree or even a graduate degree. It would seem impossible to work in health care, in a technical capacity, without years of education.
If you are one of these people, you need to know that there are several areas of employment in health care that require technical skills, but these skills can be learned in vocational schools through programs that only take a few months. One example that stands out among these professions is that of phlebotomy. This is the study of punctures to the skin for the purpose of drawing blood for testing or administering fluids by intravenous methods.
Although this is a technical area of health care, a program to earn a certificate will only take a few weeks. In fact, here in Spokane, you can take a course at a community college that last 10 weeks. You will be spending on average 20 to 22 hours a week studying. The areas that are covered will be done with lectures and study materials. There is also lab work, and in the second part of the course, you will learn how to physically draw blood. Safety procedures will be taught as well how to prepare the skin for puncture.
Once you have completed your training in phlebotomy, you will earn a certificate from your school. The state of Washington does not have requirements for phlebotomy certification, but when you go looking for a job, any hospital or clinic needing a phlebotomist will want to see a certificate from a school with a reputable program.
Local community colleges in Spokane(and other places like Tacoma or Seattle) have such reputations, and it is here that you should start your search for a good course in phlebotomy. Once you are hired, you will need to obtain certification as a health care assistant by the Washington Department of Health. This is usually done through your employer.
Because work for a phlebotomist is in such demand, it usually takes only a few weeks to find a job. Once you begin to work in the health care field, a whole new array of opportunities will be unveiled. Many of the opportunities in health care cannot be discovered until you have actually worked in the industry, and the best part is you can go anywhere with your training and be a phlebotomist in Seattle or Tacoma.
Although this is a great entry level job in health care, many people stick with phlebotomy for many years. With experience, a good phlebotomist will make more money over time, and the work is steady. However, other people have used phlebotomy as a foundation to a greater career in medicine. There are many additional skills and knowledge that can be obtained through education.
How far you go in health care is up to you, but phlebotomy is a great place to start.
Here are some schools in your area that can provide the training you need to get your career off the ground:
HORIZON MEDICAL INSTITUTE
1825 N Hutchinson Rd Suite B
Spokane Valley, WA 99212
Spokane Community College
1810 N. Greene St.,
Spokane, WA 99217
509.533.7000 or TTY 509.533.7482
Spokane Falls Community College
3410 W. Fort George Wright Drive, Spokane, WA 99224
509.533.3500 or TTY 509.533.3838
Institute for Extended Learning
2917 W. Fort George Wright Drive, Spokane, WA 99224
509.279.6000 or TTY 509.279.6092
Here Are Some Schools Near You:
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Health Science - Medical Assisting
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- MS Nursing
- MS Nursing: Patient Safety and Quality
- MS Nursing: Clinical Nurse Leader
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- And more...
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)