If you are like many people, you have noticed that the health care industry is growing. Even in this economy, there continues to be new career opportunities in a wide range of health care jobs. Like other people, you have thought about beginning a career in health care but have also thought that it takes too much education to get started. Many of the jobs in health care take a four year degree or even a graduate degree. It would seem impossible to work in health care, in a technical capacity, without years of education.
If you are one of these people, you need to know that there are several areas of employment in health care that require technical skills, but these skills can be learned in vocational schools through programs that only take a few months. One example that stands out among these professions is that of phlebotomy. This is the study of punctures to the skin for the purpose of drawing blood for testing or administering fluids by intravenous methods.
Although this is a technical area of health care, a program to earn a certificate will only take a few weeks. In fact, here in Spokane, you can take a course at a community college that last 10 weeks. You will be spending on average 20 to 22 hours a week studying. The areas that are covered will be done with lectures and study materials. There is also lab work, and in the second part of the course, you will learn how to physically draw blood. Safety procedures will be taught as well how to prepare the skin for puncture.
Once you have completed your training in phlebotomy, you will earn a certificate from your school. The state of Washington does not have requirements for phlebotomy certification, but when you go looking for a job, any hospital or clinic needing a phlebotomist will want to see a certificate from a school with a reputable program.
Local community colleges in Spokane(and other places like Tacoma or Seattle) have such reputations, and it is here that you should start your search for a good course in phlebotomy. Once you are hired, you will need to obtain certification as a health care assistant by the Washington Department of Health. This is usually done through your employer.
Because work for a phlebotomist is in such demand, it usually takes only a few weeks to find a job. Once you begin to work in the health care field, a whole new array of opportunities will be unveiled. Many of the opportunities in health care cannot be discovered until you have actually worked in the industry, and the best part is you can go anywhere with your training and be a phlebotomist in Seattle or Tacoma.
Although this is a great entry level job in health care, many people stick with phlebotomy for many years. With experience, a good phlebotomist will make more money over time, and the work is steady. However, other people have used phlebotomy as a foundation to a greater career in medicine. There are many additional skills and knowledge that can be obtained through education.
How far you go in health care is up to you, but phlebotomy is a great place to start.
Here are some schools in your area that can provide the training you need to get your career off the ground:
HORIZON MEDICAL INSTITUTE
1825 N Hutchinson Rd Suite B
Spokane Valley, WA 99212
Spokane Community College
1810 N. Greene St.,
Spokane, WA 99217
509.533.7000 or TTY 509.533.7482
Spokane Falls Community College
3410 W. Fort George Wright Drive, Spokane, WA 99224
509.533.3500 or TTY 509.533.3838
Institute for Extended Learning
2917 W. Fort George Wright Drive, Spokane, WA 99224
509.279.6000 or TTY 509.279.6092
Here Are Some Schools Near You:
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
You can advance your career with a degree from Charter College Online. We offer several Associates and Bachelors degrees in the business, health care, accounting and legal fields. Our accelerated programs are designed to help you complete your degree as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We help students get not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Office Administrative Assistant
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!