If you are like many people, you have noticed that the health care industry is growing. Even in this economy, there continues to be new career opportunities in a wide range of health care jobs. Like other people, you have thought about beginning a career in health care but have also thought that it takes too much education to get started. Many of the jobs in health care take a four year degree or even a graduate degree. It would seem impossible to work in health care, in a technical capacity, without years of education.
If you are one of these people, you need to know that there are several areas of employment in health care that require technical skills, but these skills can be learned in vocational schools through programs that only take a few months. One example that stands out among these professions is that of phlebotomy. This is the study of punctures to the skin for the purpose of drawing blood for testing or administering fluids by intravenous methods.
Although this is a technical area of health care, a program to earn a certificate will only take a few weeks. In fact, here in Spokane, you can take a course at a community college that last 10 weeks. You will be spending on average 20 to 22 hours a week studying. The areas that are covered will be done with lectures and study materials. There is also lab work, and in the second part of the course, you will learn how to physically draw blood. Safety procedures will be taught as well how to prepare the skin for puncture.
Once you have completed your training in phlebotomy, you will earn a certificate from your school. The state of Washington does not have requirements for phlebotomy certification, but when you go looking for a job, any hospital or clinic needing a phlebotomist will want to see a certificate from a school with a reputable program.
Local community colleges in Spokane(and other places like Tacoma or Seattle) have such reputations, and it is here that you should start your search for a good course in phlebotomy. Once you are hired, you will need to obtain certification as a health care assistant by the Washington Department of Health. This is usually done through your employer.
Because work for a phlebotomist is in such demand, it usually takes only a few weeks to find a job. Once you begin to work in the health care field, a whole new array of opportunities will be unveiled. Many of the opportunities in health care cannot be discovered until you have actually worked in the industry, and the best part is you can go anywhere with your training and be a phlebotomist in Seattle or Tacoma.
Although this is a great entry level job in health care, many people stick with phlebotomy for many years. With experience, a good phlebotomist will make more money over time, and the work is steady. However, other people have used phlebotomy as a foundation to a greater career in medicine. There are many additional skills and knowledge that can be obtained through education.
How far you go in health care is up to you, but phlebotomy is a great place to start.
Here are some schools in your area that can provide the training you need to get your career off the ground:
HORIZON MEDICAL INSTITUTE
1825 N Hutchinson Rd Suite B
Spokane Valley, WA 99212
Spokane Community College
1810 N. Greene St.,
Spokane, WA 99217
509.533.7000 or TTY 509.533.7482
Spokane Falls Community College
3410 W. Fort George Wright Drive, Spokane, WA 99224
509.533.3500 or TTY 509.533.3838
Institute for Extended Learning
2917 W. Fort George Wright Drive, Spokane, WA 99224
509.279.6000 or TTY 509.279.6092
Here Are Some Schools Near You:
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Certificate - Dental Assisting
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati (UC) has been categorized at the highest level of higher education: the Carnegie Commission (which evaluates the achievements of faculty, current research, leading edge curriculum, and accreditation) has recognized UC as a Doctoral/Research University — Extensive. Each year, this urban, public, nonprofit university graduates 5,000 students, adding to more than 200,000 living alumni around the world. The online programs connect students to a dynamic community of devoted educators, accessible research, and a dedicated support team.
- Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- MS Nursing
- MS Nursing: Patient Safety and Quality
- MS Nursing: Clinical Nurse Leader
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)