If you are like many people, you have noticed that the health care industry is growing. Even in this economy, there continues to be new career opportunities in a wide range of health care jobs. Like other people, you have thought about beginning a career in health care but have also thought that it takes too much education to get started. Many of the jobs in health care take a four year degree or even a graduate degree. It would seem impossible to work in health care, in a technical capacity, without years of education.
If you are one of these people, you need to know that there are several areas of employment in health care that require technical skills, but these skills can be learned in vocational schools through programs that only take a few months. One example that stands out among these professions is that of phlebotomy. This is the study of punctures to the skin for the purpose of drawing blood for testing or administering fluids by intravenous methods.
Although this is a technical area of health care, a program to earn a certificate will only take a few weeks. In fact, here in Spokane, you can take a course at a community college that last 10 weeks. You will be spending on average 20 to 22 hours a week studying. The areas that are covered will be done with lectures and study materials. There is also lab work, and in the second part of the course, you will learn how to physically draw blood. Safety procedures will be taught as well how to prepare the skin for puncture.
Once you have completed your training in phlebotomy, you will earn a certificate from your school. The state of Washington does not have requirements for phlebotomy certification, but when you go looking for a job, any hospital or clinic needing a phlebotomist will want to see a certificate from a school with a reputable program.
Local community colleges in Spokane(and other places like Tacoma or Seattle) have such reputations, and it is here that you should start your search for a good course in phlebotomy. Once you are hired, you will need to obtain certification as a health care assistant by the Washington Department of Health. This is usually done through your employer.
Because work for a phlebotomist is in such demand, it usually takes only a few weeks to find a job. Once you begin to work in the health care field, a whole new array of opportunities will be unveiled. Many of the opportunities in health care cannot be discovered until you have actually worked in the industry, and the best part is you can go anywhere with your training and be a phlebotomist in Seattle or Tacoma.
Although this is a great entry level job in health care, many people stick with phlebotomy for many years. With experience, a good phlebotomist will make more money over time, and the work is steady. However, other people have used phlebotomy as a foundation to a greater career in medicine. There are many additional skills and knowledge that can be obtained through education.
How far you go in health care is up to you, but phlebotomy is a great place to start.
Here are some schools in your area that can provide the training you need to get your career off the ground:
HORIZON MEDICAL INSTITUTE
1825 N Hutchinson Rd Suite B
Spokane Valley, WA 99212
Spokane Community College
1810 N. Greene St.,
Spokane, WA 99217
509.533.7000 or TTY 509.533.7482
Spokane Falls Community College
3410 W. Fort George Wright Drive, Spokane, WA 99224
509.533.3500 or TTY 509.533.3838
Institute for Extended Learning
2917 W. Fort George Wright Drive, Spokane, WA 99224
509.279.6000 or TTY 509.279.6092
Here Are Some Schools Near You:
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- 100% Online Education Degrees - Ashford University
- Break new ground in your education career with your BA or MA in Education.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s & Associate's programs to prepare you for the invaluable role of guiding learners or shaping educational initiatives.
- Help Build the World's Future. Apply today!
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Bachelors
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Masters
- Higher Education - Bachelors
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. in Forensic Psychology: Non-Licensure Track