If you are like many people, you have noticed that the health care industry is growing. Even in this economy, there continues to be new career opportunities in a wide range of health care jobs. Like other people, you have thought about beginning a career in health care but have also thought that it takes too much education to get started. Many of the jobs in health care take a four year degree or even a graduate degree. It would seem impossible to work in health care, in a technical capacity, without years of education.
If you are one of these people, you need to know that there are several areas of employment in health care that require technical skills, but these skills can be learned in vocational schools through programs that only take a few months. One example that stands out among these professions is that of phlebotomy. This is the study of punctures to the skin for the purpose of drawing blood for testing or administering fluids by intravenous methods.
Although this is a technical area of health care, a program to earn a certificate will only take a few weeks. In fact, here in Spokane, you can take a course at a community college that last 10 weeks. You will be spending on average 20 to 22 hours a week studying. The areas that are covered will be done with lectures and study materials. There is also lab work, and in the second part of the course, you will learn how to physically draw blood. Safety procedures will be taught as well how to prepare the skin for puncture.
Once you have completed your training in phlebotomy, you will earn a certificate from your school. The state of Washington does not have requirements for phlebotomy certification, but when you go looking for a job, any hospital or clinic needing a phlebotomist will want to see a certificate from a school with a reputable program.
Local community colleges in Spokane(and other places like Tacoma or Seattle) have such reputations, and it is here that you should start your search for a good course in phlebotomy. Once you are hired, you will need to obtain certification as a health care assistant by the Washington Department of Health. This is usually done through your employer.
Because work for a phlebotomist is in such demand, it usually takes only a few weeks to find a job. Once you begin to work in the health care field, a whole new array of opportunities will be unveiled. Many of the opportunities in health care cannot be discovered until you have actually worked in the industry, and the best part is you can go anywhere with your training and be a phlebotomist in Seattle or Tacoma.
Although this is a great entry level job in health care, many people stick with phlebotomy for many years. With experience, a good phlebotomist will make more money over time, and the work is steady. However, other people have used phlebotomy as a foundation to a greater career in medicine. There are many additional skills and knowledge that can be obtained through education.
How far you go in health care is up to you, but phlebotomy is a great place to start.
Here are some schools in your area that can provide the training you need to get your career off the ground:
HORIZON MEDICAL INSTITUTE
1825 N Hutchinson Rd Suite B
Spokane Valley, WA 99212
Spokane Community College
1810 N. Greene St.,
Spokane, WA 99217
509.533.7000 or TTY 509.533.7482
Spokane Falls Community College
3410 W. Fort George Wright Drive, Spokane, WA 99224
509.533.3500 or TTY 509.533.3838
Institute for Extended Learning
2917 W. Fort George Wright Drive, Spokane, WA 99224
509.279.6000 or TTY 509.279.6092
Here Are Some Schools Near You:
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Nursing—RN-to-BSN, Master of Science in Nursing, and more.
- Experienced faculty members provide a practical knowledge of patient care, treatments, and research in the field of nursing.
- Courses designed to keep students up to date with the latest advances in medical technology.
- Online and on-campus programs have flexible schedules, designed for working professionals.
- MS in Nursing - Nurse Educator
- Medical Assisting
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Education
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Education (Bridge)
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction Equity, Ethics, and Justice
- And more...
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology/Forensic Psychology