This is the greek word meaning ‘to cut a vein’. In modern day medical terminology, phlebotomy is defined as the process of making incision on a vein. As the definition clearly states, this is not for those who freeze at the sight of blood or those who bolt on seeing a needle. This procedure has been practised in ancient times but the name for it then was bloodletting. Many states in the US have embraced phlebotomy as a career choice and to practise in many states does not emphasize certification except for Louisiana and Florida. Certification for any professional is important to any employer as it implies that one has passed required government standards and gives confidence in performance.
Vancouver WA, is a place where trained phlebotomists are in high demand. The highest number of job listings from vancouver are for phlebotomists. The salary for most certified phlebotomists is twenty six thousand dollars and this is way above the uncertified practitioners. The earlier you get that practising license and certificate the better as it is important to build a good resume before it becomes too crowded an option. Statistics indicate a whooping number of newly certified phlebotomists every year.
Phlebotomy is one of the options that leave the individual satisfied in their job because of the high salary, wide range of job opportunities, more encounter.
For those who want to study phlebotomy, there are short courses offered for about a year and online training is available for those who have a lot to juggle. Loans are available for those who want to pursue but many miss out in light of their poor credits. Phlebotomy may look easy but don’t for one moment think its for slobs who could not cut it in another medical field. There is a lot of extra study for would be phlebotomists and this prepares them for a wider range of job opportunities. The phlebotomy curricula involves extra skills in anatomy, medical laboratory and venipuncture.
Most hospitals and even individuals prefer to hire somebody with added skills so that they may reap maximum benefits. There are different facilities for drawing blood from specific patients including the disabled and infants. The needles are structured in a way as to avoid scaring patients. The blood drawn by phlebotomists is for tests and involves collection of minute blood samples. This job allows you to make patients shed blood and get paid for it! that doesn’t happen often.
In Vancouver WA, phlebotomist training takes only a year and a half and on completion leaves you ready for entry level practise in any other part. As technology and the world changes, peoples tasks change and people need to study and get certificates to do simple tasks. On that note however, it doesn’t mean that what phlebotomists do is without risk because if a vein is pinched wrongly, serious damage may occur.
Phlebotomy is a very bloody job literally, but the benefits of drawing blood could never be better. Proper needle technique is taught as well as bedside manners is taught when dealing with patients. The phlebotomist is not limited and may work even with animals. The principle for working with animals is that be careful and not rude to the animal.
Many phlebotomy schools offer online training like the Herring University but this has a downside in that it only covers theory in a field which requires more hands on training. Choose the school well, as many in Vancouver may not be accredited. To make the best choice, go to the hospital’s HR or check online reviews since this will help you not to be ripped off by unscrupulous people who may just want the money. Choose wisely and be part of vancouver’s generation of new medical professionals with the added advantage of not being on call all the time. You can juggle two careers.
Here Are Some Schools Near You:
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Assisting
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting Online
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati (UC) has been categorized at the highest level of higher education: the Carnegie Commission (which evaluates the achievements of faculty, current research, leading edge curriculum, and accreditation) has recognized UC as a Doctoral/Research University — Extensive. Each year, this urban, public, nonprofit university graduates 5,000 students, adding to more than 200,000 living alumni around the world. The online programs connect students to a dynamic community of devoted educators, accessible research, and a dedicated support team.
- Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy
Ohio University has offered distance learning educational opportunities for more than 100 years. Our nationally-ranked graduate programs provide flexible opportunities to students around the globe
- Online MSN Nurse Educator Degree
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Education
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Education (Bridge)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
Home to more than 58,000 students from all 50 states and 125 different countries, Rutgers’ mission is to prepare students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. That’s made possible by a faculty and staff of over 13,000 members, which includes an Abel Prize winner, Guggenheim Fellows, MacArthur “Genius Award” Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, and many more.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County. Maryville University students may choose from 75+ academic programs, including degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels.
- Online Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Pediatric (Primary Care) Nurse Practitioner (PNP)
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Online Associate Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
- Online Bachelor Degree to Master Degree Nursing program